Re: [O] Bug: org-2ft and/or float-time is wrong [9.1.2 (9.1.2-22-ga2a034

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-2ft and/or float-time is wrong [9.1.2 (9.1.2-22-ga2a034-elpaplus @ ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171023/)]
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 15:56:16 +1100

OK, thanks for the additional information. That helps a lot.

We can now narrow down where the issue is.

After having looked (only very casually) at some of the org date/time
related functions, I think there may be quite a few issues. I'm not
convinced the root cause is org-2ft converting to UTC, though I think
that change has probably revealed some of the issues.

There does seem to be some inconsistency or lack of clarity regarding
some of these operations and it could well be that the switch to using
UTC is not the correct approach, but just switching back probably isn't
either What does appear to be required is increased consistency in some
of these functions or where/how they are used. .

To correctly fix this, I feel more analysis is warranted. I'm prepared
to look at this and present a summary and options, but it will have to
wait until after 21st when I start leave from work. It is a complex area
and perhaps my skills won't be up to it, but I should at least be able
to identify the main areas needing attention/decisions.

Whether we should change back to non-UTC for time comparisons in the
meantime is not something I feel informed enough to make a call. It
really depends on the daylight savings time related issues affecting
clock tables and other functionality.  This is probably something core
org maintainers will need to make a call on.

Tim

--
Tim Cross