Re: [O] function for inserting a block

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] function for inserting a block
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 17:11:57 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Takaaki Ishikawa <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I also support the idea of keeping "<s" as it was.
>>> Please give importance to the backward compatibility in this case.
>>
>> I explained why I thought it could be removed. I also suggested
>> solutions to get an equivalent feature without implementing it in Org.
>
> Which sounds fair.
>
>> What is wrong with Abbrev mode, skeletons, tempo.el, expand.el, all
>> bundled with Emacs, or YASnippet, in the Emacs ecosystem? It sounds like
>> NIH. Or, to put it differently: why in the world would Org implement its
>> own template system?
>
> tempo.el, which I was unaware of, will be able to do this.  Thanks for the
> pointer.
>
> I have started to write a replacement.  It seems to work fairly OK so far.
> Not all keywords have been added, and no mechanism for adding additional
> keywords is there yet.
>
> Nicolas, what would be the best way to hook ‘tempo-complete-tag’ into
> "space"?  Should I add support directly in org-self-insert-command or add
> it to post-command-hook?

Actually, it should just hook into TAB (doh).

The attached version seems to replicate the old behavior more or less.  I
had to add a new custom variable to store keywords.

Also, Eric, it seems that org-structure-template-alist only supports a
single letter for short-hands (the car of an entry in
org-structure-template-alist is a char).  I used to have blocks like "<ab"
expanding to an "abstract" special-block, which I guess isn’t possible
anymore?

Should I add this file to Org?

Rasmus

--
Got mashed potatoes. Ain't got no T-Bone. No T-Bone