Re: [O] Beginner installing org-mode 9.1.2 from git fails on homebrew em

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] Beginner installing org-mode 9.1.2 from git fails on homebrew emacs-mac
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 07:56:31 +1100

That error you see re: missing cl-lib is an error I have seen because
the system is getting confused over emacs versions. Essentially,
somewhere in the scripts, a call is being made to 'emacs' and it is
finding the old /usr/bin/emacs rather than the one you have installed
with homebrew.

I have found this happens when I use the 'macports' version i.e. the
brew cask version of emacs. I don't get this problem when I just do a
brew install emacs (remembering to manually add the cocoa, svg,
imagemagick etc command line switches). I've not really looked into it
as the non-cask version of emacs works just fine, but I think the issue
is that the cask version does not create binaries or sym links to
binaries in /usr/local/bin for 'emacs' (note lower case), so the version
in /usr/bin/emacs is being picked up and that version predates cl-lib.

Try doing a `which emacs` in a terminal to see which version is being
found and then do whatever you need to do to ensure the homebrew version
is found in the PATH before the stock standard OSX version.

Tim

BTW it is also a good idea to add /usr/local/bin to the /etc/paths file
to ensure that directory is added before /usr/bin by default when you
login etc.

--
Tim Cross