Re: [O] Deletion immediately after insertion should leave org-mode table

From: Ruy Exel
Subject: Re: [O] Deletion immediately after insertion should leave org-mode tables unaltered but it doesn't
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 23:16:20 -0200

Hi Nicolas,

This is indeed a good idea as it mimics the creation of a row in emacs text-mode with "C-o".

Best wishes,
Ruy

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Ruy Exel <address@hidden> writes:

> Given a simple table such as
>
> | Name  | Age |
> |-------+-----|
> | John  |  20 |
> | Peter |  25 |
> |-------+-----|
>
> place the cursor in the cell containing 'Age', insert two columns pressing
> 'M-S-right' each time and, immediately after that, delete two columns with
> "M-S-left".  One would expect the table to return to its original state,
> but is doesn't.  In reality the table becomes
>
> |   | Age |
> |---+-----|
> |   |  20 |
> |   |  25 |
> |---+-----|
>
> because the second deletion actually kills the column labeled "Name".
>
> Contrast this with the behaviour of inserting and deleting characters in
> text-mode and you will see that the above behaviour is counter intuitive.
>
> I believe this is due to the fact that 'M-S-right' inserts a column at the
> cursor, placing the cursor within the inserted column, while, after
> deletion, the cursor is placed in the column to the LEFT of the deleted
> column (except after deleting the leftmost column).
>
> A possible solution is to place the column to the RIGHT of the deleted
> column after deletion (except after deleting the rightmost column).

The deletion is triggered by pressing the <LEFT> arrow. Your suggestion
would make the point move right. This is not optimal either.

Maybe the other way is better. Since column creation is triggered by
pressing <RIGHT> arrow, we might create it to the right of the current
column, and point would move into it.

WDYT?

Regards,

--