[O] bug#11700: 24.1.50; Bad interaction between BiDi and org-tables

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: [O] bug#11700: 24.1.50; Bad interaction between BiDi and org-tables
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 21:35:40 +0100

The correct Unicode≥6.3 way to do this would be with the unicode isolation characters. I.e. you would wrap each of the columns with <FSI>column contents<BDI>. Does emacs honor these? Should be easy to test.

Regards,
Dov

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:26:35 +0300
>> From: Dov Grobgeld <address@hidden>
>>
>> Imagine you have a buffer with the following logical contents (using the
>> convention that capitals are RTL characters).
>>
>> | abcdef | abc |
>> | ABCDEF | ABC |
>>
>> I would like this to be displayed as:
>>
>> | abcdef | abc |
>> | FEDCBA | CBA |
>>
>> The problem is that I want to each column of the table to be isolated
>> (with regards to bidi influence) from other columns in the table. (Of
>> course we also want to choose the table direction, but that is a
>> different and solvable issue.) If there is no such separation, which
>> is the behaviour currently get in emacs HEAD, then the resulting
>> rendered buffer is:
>>
>> | abcdef | abc |
>> | CBA | FEDCBA |
>>
>> Is this even solvable in the current emacs bidi model?
>
> Yes, it is.  The solution involves putting segment separators between
> the table columns.  These could be TAB characters or a display
> property whose value is (space . :width N) or (space . :align-to COL).
>
> Org maintainers, please ask if you need help in fixing this.

*raises a hand*

I'd rather preserve structure of Org documents outside of Emacs. So,
`:align-to' is not an option.

IIUC, I need to replace the closest space from vertical bars with

  #(" " 0 1 (space :width 1))

This doesn't sound too difficult.

However, could someone provide tests cases so we get it right once and
for all?

Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738