Re: [O] [patch] structure snippet completions

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: [O] [patch] structure snippet completions
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 17:23:17 +0000

> On Dec 8, 2017, at 1:20 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> A minor gotcha: if you `(require 'org-tempo)' after an org buffer has
>> been created you will need to (org-mode-restart) the buffer to enable
>> completions.  I got stuck trying to add custom templates until I
>> realized this.
>
> It shouldn’t do that since this is near the bottom of org-tempo:
>
>    (when (eq major-mode 'org-mode) (org-tempo-setup))
>
> On my system it works in the first buffer where I require org-tempo, even
> without reloading.

Yes. It does that for me, too. But this only affects the buffer from which I
`(require 'org-tempo)'.

If there are already org buffers already open, I have to eval (org-tempo-setup)
or (org-mode-restart) each one to enable to enable org-tempo in them. Of
course, buffers opened later run the org-mode-hooks, so that isn't a problem.

This isn't likely to affect many users, but if someone tries to debug by
starting `emacs -Q', opening an org buffer, and then requiring org-tempo from
another buffer, s/he could get stuck.

My init file creates a buffer called org-scratch.org in which I doodle and try
things out.  I was stuck with org-tempo till I moved it below the (require
'org-tempo).

So maybe add a comment that will warn that (require 'org-tempo) only affects
the buffer from which it is run and buffers subsequently opened or restarted.

> Which version of Emacs are you using?

25.2.1

Chuck