Re: [O] Key binding popup interface

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: [O] Key binding popup interface
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:53:10 -0800

I discovered accidentally some years ago, when I had been using a popup help function that I cobbled together myself with a hot key, that <Prefix>-F1 loads a list of bindings under that prefix.  It's an awesome feature of GNU/Emacs.

Alan Davis

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:48 PM Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 Dec 2017 at 14:02, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> Copying this on both Emacs devel and Org mode list. Hopefully this
> discussion is eligible for that.
>
> Problem statement: Need to have a pretty interface that shows the available
> valid key bindings.

which-key-mode works well for me.

I use which-key too, but that serves a different purpose.

which-key shows *all* bindings that begin with a prefix.

hydra creates a quick keymap that can be bound to any key of user's choice. Then the user needs to just set that main binding, and all the sub-bindings in that keymap stay the same.

- Hydra basics[1]
- Projectile hydra example[2]
- Rectangle operations[3]

(See many more examples in that wiki.)

Very vaguely speaking, which-key is a read-only utility, hydra is a create + read utility. We need the "create" portion for the org stucture template replacement discussed on the Org thread. I understand that while hydra cannot be integrated in emacs 26 and so Org cannot immediately start using it, it will be very much useful to many packages in future if first hydra is baked into the emacs core.

--

Kaushal Modi

--
[Fill in the blanks]

The use of corrupt manipulations and blatant rhetorical ploys ...--- outright lying, flagwaving, personal attacks, setting up phony alternatives, misdirection, jargon-mongering, evading key issues, feigning disinterested objectivity, willful misunderstanding of other points of view---suggests that ... lacks both credibility and evidence.

             ---- Edward Tufte (in context of making presentations)