Re: [O] Key binding popup interface

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Key binding popup interface
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:20:51 -0800

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> Copying this on both Emacs devel and Org mode list. Hopefully this discussion
> is eligible for that.
>
> Problem statement: Need to have a pretty interface that shows the available
> valid key bindings.
>
> We have something custom developed for Org export interface. Magit has its
> own popup interface. I know verilog-mode.el has something in-house for
> picking the skeleton for insertion, but the interface is not as good as
> hydra's.
> Projectile.el (not on GNU Elpa) has its projectile commander, another
> in-house attempt to get a similar pop-up interface.
>
> Of all those options and more that I've seen out there, hydra.el looks like
> the most elegant and *configurable* option.
>
> Can hydra.el be merged into Emacs core, so that all the packages can start
> taking advantage of that? We need to stop having each package develop their
> own way to do this same thing.

Hydra definitely sounds nice, but unless I'm misunderstanding how it
works, it can't be a replacement for either Org's export interface, or
Magit's popups. Both of those can set various state variables before
choosing an actual action -- Hydra can't do that, can it?

Did I hear that Magit was breaking its popup interface out into a
separate library? If so, that would also be a nice thing.