Re: [O] Key binding popup interface

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] Key binding popup interface
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:52:41 -0800

SM> I have no opinion on that part, but if a part of Hydra would be useful for
SM> other packages, then it'd be good to split it out: for me "Hydra" means
SM> "define a Hydra via defhydra or something like that", so if you tell me to
SM> use Hydra to "show the available valid key bindings", I wouldn't know
SM> where to start.

Plus, there are other, less intrusive way to achieve "show the available valid
key bindings", such as the which-key package.

I think one area where Hydras come into their own is that once you have the
Hydra active, it stays active, allowing you to chain together many single-
letter commands.

For example, you could have a hydra for "large-scale syntactic structures",
where repeated uses of n/p are mapped to what C-c C-n and C-c C-p usually do
in modes like cc-mode.