Re: [O] [RFC] Dog food, anyone?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Dog food, anyone?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:12:27 -1000

Aloha Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

>> One change that might be made globally is the use of em-dash (---) to
>> set off text, versus en-dash (--) between numerals, e.g. "the range of
>> run times is 1--5 seconds".  I've spotted several places where the
>> en-dash is used to set off text.  See this web site for the convention
>> on dashes:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Conventions.html
>
> I think it is a matter of "American English" vs "British English"
> convention. See, e.g., <https://www.gsbe.co.uk/grammar-the-dash.html>.
>
> I consistently used the latter because I find it more aesthetically
> pleasing. As a GNU manual, we can switch to the American English
> convention everywhere. In this case, however, em-dash are not
> spaced-out.

I find the en-dash with spaces more aesthetically pleasing, too.

> In the same vein, we also need to use title case. This needs some
> special care as fuzzy links need to be updated accordingly.
>
> WDYT?

Agreed. This is one of the first things we might do if manual.org
becomes the official source of the Org manual.

FYI, Phil Rooke's Documentation_Standards.org suggests title case for
chapter heads and sentence case for section and subsection headings.

> I changed it to
>
>   ... by tweaking the header arguments (see [[* Using header
>   arguments]]) for compiling...
>
> For more information, see (info "(texinfo) @ref"), last paragraphs.
> N.B.: I suggest to read it in regular info viewer, i.e., "info texinfo"
> from the command line, instead of Emacs to make sense out of this.

Yes, much better.

All the best,
Tom

--