Re: [O] Canonical way to strip off all markup from an element in Org exp

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Canonical way to strip off all markup from an element in Org exporter backend?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:41:34 +0000

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 5:27 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
You must be kidding. It must be around 8 locs. See for example
`org-export-toc-entry-backend'.

Thank you! That function is educational. I'll play more with that idea. It will be a lot more verbose than the 3 line solution I have right now.. but I am intrigued enough to still try that out to see how it turns out.

I fail to see how it could be generally useful.

It can be used wherever just the element content is needed without formatting properties, like in my case where the element title is needed to be extracted without any formatting.

What are you doing with entities, footnotes, latex-snippets...?

I haven't yet invested any time into serious development of this "base class" backend. The idea of this exporter is to give formatting-free output (like when you select plain text option in an email client).. so at whim, entities will be translated to the correct unicode chars, footnotes behavior could be the same as ox-ascii, and latex-snippets can stay in the raw ascii form.

If there is an interest to move this forward, I can come up with a "raw" backend spec, and we can discuss on the details.
--

Kaushal Modi