Re: [O] babel header argument :var is not expanded when tangling

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: Re: [O] babel header argument :var is not expanded when tangling
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 09:40:39 -0600

> Here is a quick test:
>
> * Test tangle will auto expand and substitute :var
>
> #+begin_src js :tangle kk.js
> console.log("hello, world!");
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src js :var name="chris" :tangle require-kk.js
> // require("kk.js");
> console.log("Hi, ", name);
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : Hi,  chris
>
> #+NAME: check whether tangle expand and substitute :var
> #+begin_src shell
> cat require-kk.js
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS: check whether tangle expand and substitute :var
> : var name="chris";
> : console.log("Hi, ", name);
>
> The upper result should be: ~console.log("Hi, ", "chris");~.

Here are your two source blocks. They each do literate programming,
one with Variable style and the other with Noweb style. When you
evaluate them you get an identical result. When you tangle them you
get two different pieces of code, that generate the same result. You
can peek at what the tangled code will look like by calling
org-babel-expand-src-block inside the source block. That is how it
will look in the tangled file. I think that want Noweb style.

When I use the Variable approach like this

#+begin_src js :var name="chris" :tangle kk.js
console.log("Hi, ", name);
#+end_src

I get this in the tangled output file

var name="chris";
console.log("Hi, ", name);

When I use the the Noweb approach like this

#+NAME: name
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
chris
#+END_SRC

#+NAME: org_gcr_2017-12-23_mara_3D887FDD-163D-4BE1-80E8-464BF29DABEA
#+BEGIN_SRC js :tangle noweb-kk.js :comments no
console.log("Hi, ", "«name»");
#+END_SRC

I get this in the tangled  output file

console.log("Hi, ", "chris");