Re: [O] New feature? Remove duplicate subheadings, preserving order

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] New feature? Remove duplicate subheadings, preserving order
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 03:39:52 -0600

Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any possible way to prevent it more reliably?
>
> I am aware of org-catch-invisible-edits, but this is obviously not
> enough. Does it make sense to generate some kind of subtree based diff
> after each change, so that user can review all recent changes in org
> files?

That's a good question.  If you want to be max-paranoid, I guess you
should put all your Org files in git, and review and commit all changes
with magit.  For certain things that might make sense (e.g. I do that
with readme files in published projects), but for my personal Org files,
that would feel like a burden to me.

I do store my personal Org files in git, but I don't review the changes
manually.  I commit the changes automatically with a cron job and when my
"emacs-raise-or-run" script raises or minimizes the Emacs window.  If I
ever need to review the changes, I can use magit or gitk.

If you add this to your .git/config file in a git repo of Org files, it
uses Org heading lines as diff headers, which helps when reviewing
changes:

[diff "org"]
    xfuncname = "^\\*+ +.*$"