Re: [O] Is there a way to get all agenda TODOs programmatically?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Is there a way to get all agenda TODOs programmatically?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:15:49 +0100

Hello,

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> I have some more code you might find useful.  I had an idea to take a
> different approach with my org-agenda-ng code (not using org-element to
> parse the whole buffer first), and it seems to be working well so far.

Clearly, `org-element-parse-buffer' is not adequate for the task. When
buildings the agenda view, you're most probably interested in very
specific parts of the document, whereas Element tries to be as thorough
as possible.

I suggest even to not use any org-element-* function there.

> The code is here:
>
> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-agenda-ng/tree/non-element-parsing
>
> The code doesn't generate an identical result to the org-agenda code
> (not yet, anyway), but it's very similar.  It lacks the agenda prefix
> feature and full application of agenda faces (it does do a few faces
> already).  Most, if not all, text properties are applied.  And of
> course, more work could be done to make it look more like an official
> agenda buffer.

I don't want to sound offending, but your 400 locs library cannot
possibly be "very similar" to 10k locs org-agenda.el. Also, after
a cursory look, it is not clear how you solve the multi-days issue.
I.e., AFAIU, you still run multiple checks on the same entry.

Nevertheless, I think your approach is right. I think that, at some
point, we'll need to rewrite "org-agenda.el" from scratch, like we did
for "org-export.el" a few years back, so it becomes manageable again. In
the process, we definitely need to find a better replacement for
`org-agenda-skip', as done in your library.

So, in a nutshell, I think you're doing a step in the right direction.
I hope Org can ultimately benefit from a better "org-agenda.el".

My 2 cents,

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou