Re: [O] BeOrg

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [O] BeOrg
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 17:58:11 -0200

Morever, considering the availability only in Apple's App Store, how
will users exercise freedom 1, which also includes the freedom to reuse
the adaptation in the same environment/device? This "retake' of freedom
0 in freedom 1 is also mentioned in [1].

Currently:

- BeOrg doesn't seem to be "open source" (according to the Open Source
  Initiative's Definition, see [2]), unless of course we're missing
  something and the full license text, copyright notice, license notice
  and complete corresponding source are referenced/mentioned or
  distributed when the app is used, which I see as unlikely;

- doesn't seem to be free/libre either, because it depends on a package
  manager which has no easy way to completely manage trusted signatures
  understood by such package manager and requires installation only of
  signed packages (this last requirement isn't bad, but the absense of
  the trust management feature makes it worse). This is somewhat
  analogous to the situation found in almost all manufacturer-provided
  smartphones with Android and bootloaders preinstalled, besides this,
  iThings also come with Restricted Boot (not to be confused with Secure
  Boot or with EFI/UEFI, for the differences see [3]).

[1] <http://dcc.ufmg.br/~lcerf/rms.webm>. First audio track has original
speech in English, second one has translation in Brazilian
Portuguese. However this nete is only accurate for the speech, because
the intermediate audio language is somewhat mixed.

[2] <https://opensource.org/osd>.

[3]
<https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libby/m/embracing-secure-boot-and-rejecting-restricted-boot-matthew-garrett/>.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com