Re: [O] [IT] Broken support for links to text files (both internal & ext

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] [IT] Broken support for links to text files (both internal & external)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 07:16:13 +1100

Eric has provided the 'manual' solution for setting that variable. At
the risk of 'muddying the waters', I just wanted to mention a couple of
things which might help clarify matters.

- The built-in 'customize' facility of emacs means that you do not need
to do anything 'by hand' to customize the setting. It should be possible
for you to use customize and not do anything else.

- The block from your .emacs file is the customize system code block and
it is meant to be completely managed by the customize system. The one
you have posted is a vanilla block with no customisation settings.

- When you make a change via the customise interface, you have multiple
choices for how Emacs will use/interpret that change. This is referred
to as 'state' in the custom interface. There are a number of options,
all explained in the manual, but the two most common are 'Set for
current session' and 'Save for future sessions'.

- It is important to realise that the custom interface does basically
two things. First, it sets any current variables representing the value
being customised. This is essentially the 'Set for current session'
part. Second, assuming you select a state option which preserves your
changes, it will write the setting to the custom block in your .emacs
file so that your changes persist across emacs sessions. This is
essentially the 'Save for future sessions' part.

The benefit of the set for current session option is that it give the
the opportunity to try out a custom setting. If it doesn't work or it
breaks things, you can just quit emacs and re-start and everything is
back to the pre-custom setting. The downside of this option is that if
you don't later in the same session re-run the custom interface and
select the 'Save for future sessions' option, your changes will be lost
when you re-start.

Given that you noted the custom interface was able to re-indent your
.emacs custom block, we know that custom is working and can access your
.emacs file ok. Therefore, the next thing I would check is that when you
run the customize interface you are selecting Save for future sessions
option. This should see the setting updated in your .emacs 'custom'
block. (I suspect you may have selected 'set for current session' which
will not update the custom block in your .emacs file).

I would highly recommend reading the customisation section of the Emacs
manual. The custom interface has been implemented precisely for people
who don't know emacs lisp and just want to perform basic editor or mode
customisation. Using that interface, you don't need to know any Emacs
lisp and don't need to do anything by hand. There are also a number of
different ways to initiate a customisation session. I find that

M-x customize-group <return> [mode]

to be very useful. For example,

M-x customize-group <return> org

HTH