Re: [O] Org citations, CSL and citeproc-el

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Org citations, CSL and citeproc-el
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:53:26 -0800

Hi András and all: Sorry for the delay.
András Simonyi <address@hidden> writes:

Another question is the syntax for specifying the bibliography to be used and, maybe, the location where the bibliography should be placed. Org-ref (ab)uses links for these purposes as well. Was there a syntax proposal for these things too?

As far as I know, there was not. This was not settled because in order to settle it, you need to know a bit more about the backend. (Where is the citation data stored? do you have to get it from an external program? if so, which? etc. etc.)

I think there was some agreement that we can do this with option keywords. There is an existing syntax for specifying bibliographies in contrib/ox-bibtex.el, which probably provides a good model:

#+BIBLIOGRAPHY: bibfilename stylename optional-options When I was playing around with hooking up the citation syntax to an external citation processor, I was using something similar: I had keywords like

#+CSL_FILE: the-csl-style-file.csl +BIBDB: bibtex testdoc.bib
in the header, and used

#+BIBLIOGRAPHY: here

to specify where the bibliography should be placed in the document. That is obviously not the nicest solution, but the basic idea might be a good starting point.

--
Best,
Richard