Re: [O] export to latex but *not* export the citations

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] export to latex but *not* export the citations
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:22:36 +0000

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think that it is possible for the snippet I sent to remove the the
> parentheses as they are not part of the link.
>
> You can either replace them all interactively with a regexp, e.g.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (goto-char (point-min))
> (query-replace-regexp "(\\(cite:.*\\))" "\\1")
> #+END_SRC
>
> That regexp assumes they are all cite links (e.g. no citep, etc), and that
> there are no spaces between the (). This is what I would do, it should prompt
> you for each replacement, and you will end up pressing y 381 times.
>
> Alternatively, you can use this approach to remove the links from a copy of
> the buffer right before it is exported. This will leave the original links in
> place.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (let ((org-export-before-processing-hook (lambda (backend)
>    (goto-char (point-max))
>    (while (re-search-backward "(cite:.*)" nil t)
>      (setf (buffer-substring (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)) "")))))
>   (org-latex-export-as-latex))
> #+END_SRC

Thanks very much for this John.

I've used your second version with a slight alteration and the complete
snippet now shows as -

* Build :noexport:
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(let ((org-export-before-processing-hook (lambda (backend)
   (goto-char (point-max))
   (while (re-search-backward "(cite:.*)" nil t)
     (setf (buffer-substring (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)) "")))))
  (org-latex-export-to-latex))
#+END_SRC

This then allows me to build my pdf file using my 'pdfbuild' script as per
normal.

The reason why I've gone for your second code snippet is because it
still leaves the original curled brackets in situ so that I can do a
'normal' build at any time and export it as a latex file for building
with.

I've tried it out on 3 different files which I am most readily
converting to latex at the moment, and its worked very well in all of
them, so thanks John kudos to you :)

I suppose the next logical question is - how do I assign some keys to it
so that I can trigger the revamped build from elsewhere in the document?
Or even include it in my 'Mono' menu using "easymenu"?

Thanks
Sharon.