Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 19:36:30 +0100

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> Actually, I have another idea. We could implement a function generating
> the manual, right in Org core. It can be useful for both packaging, like
> the above, and for developers, who can update the manual on the fly.

That should go into mk/org-fixup.el then.  I am not aware that any
packagers have actually picked those helper functions up, so the primary
aim should still be that "make doc" keeps things updated.

> Assuming the function above is called `org-generate-manuals', and
> manual.org is located in doc/, what changes would be needed? I assume
> they would be minimal.
>
>> ORG2HTML=-f org-html-export-to-html
>
> I think HTML should still be generated from the texi file. I assume
> there is some compatibility to preserve among GNU manuals.

We could and probably should provide an option for doing it both ways.
The intent back when was that sometimes one of the export paths did work
while the other didn't, so it was quite useful to have both available.

>> ORG2INFO=--eval "(org-texinfo-compile \"./$<\")"
>
> See above.

As I said, all of this is several years old and still working.

> What kind of modifications do you have in mind?

Nothing, unless we find something missing or wrong.  But at least we
need to check that it works as intended.

Regards,
Achim.