Re: [O] Make tag inheritance explicit

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Make tag inheritance explicit
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:16:17 +0000

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018, 5:24 AM Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
Org-mode has perfect tag inheritance but unfortunately
the export methods I am using do export the tags only to the
headings they are assigned to and not to their sub-headings via
inheritance.

Hello,

I am curious how you are exporting. Are you exporting using subtree scope? I am asking because I am using the exact same style of tagging for my posts, and I export using subtree scopes using ox-hugo,.. and I faced the exact same challenge.

The trick is to:

1. Set org-use-tag-inheritance to t (temporarily in let so that it doesn't populate the user-set global value).
2. Use `org-get-tags-at' with point on "Task 1" heading in your example. `org-get-tags' returns a list of tags *only* at the current heading. `org-get-tags-at' returns inherited tags too.

Hope this helps.
--

Kaushal Modi