Re: [O] compatible issue between MELPA org and source code org

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] compatible issue between MELPA org and source code org
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:26:50 +0000

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018, 4:41 AM address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

Does anybody have a perfect solution to use latest source code Org in Emacs way?

I've been using a solution that's working perfectly for me. Unfortunately, the only way is to:

1. Uninstall all the Org installations that you don't want to use (example: delete the Org Elpa installed version if you plan to use the git cloned version).
2. Advice a package.el function that never auto-installs Org as dependency.
3. Another advice to never update Org using the package manager (as you would be managing the updates yourself using git).

Basically the update/dependency-check should not install Org.

A while back, I did a detailed write-up on this setup: https://scripter.co/building-org-development-version/. With that setup, and modi/org-version-select set to 'dev, I don't have to worry about other Org versions getting auto-installed.
--

Kaushal Modi