[O] git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git --> address@hidden:bzg/org-mode.git :

From: Brent Goodrick
Subject: [O] git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git --> address@hidden:bzg/org-mode.git : Now password is required
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 12:56:44 -0800

Hi,

Short summary to bypass the TL;DR below: In order for me to do a 'git
pull' into an existing local repo only for 'read-only' mode (not
contributing changes back), I had to change my .git/config from:

[remote "official"]
    url = git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
    fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/official/*

[remote "official"]
    url = https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
    fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/official/*

Only after doing that could I do a 'git pull' without errors or
password promptings.

Maybe that is the way it is intended to work, but the instructions on
the website imply it should work without any password requirement
using the "git:" method and not the "https:" method.  So I'm reporting
this just in case there is some server issue, versus user error on my
part.

TL;DR: detail:

I have local clone of org-mode from long ago that I'm needing to
update again. My .git/config file contains:

[remote "official"]
    url = git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
    fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/official/*
[branch "master"]
    remote = official
    merge = refs/heads/master

I tried doing a 'git fetch' today and it gave me:

fatal: unable to connect to orgmode.org:
orgmode.org[0: 45.77.206.30]: errno=Connection refused

So I looked on the main website at https://orgmode.org/ and it showed
that something had changed w.r.t. where to clone from which is:

address@hidden:bzg/org-mode.git

But cloning from that requires a password:

$ git clone address@hidden:bzg/org-mode.git
Cloning into 'org-mode'...
address@hidden's password:

Why is a password now required just to clone the repo? Note that this
is separate from the need to push back into that repo, so my
expectation is to be able to clone and use separate from committing
changes back to the "official" master, all by using the normal "git:"
method that is indicated as preferred on
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html (and I realized that is
for contributing, but the main site still has the "git:" form listed
with no indication that a password ritual is needed).

Regards,
Brent