[O] buffer-file-name in [* Org src *] buffers

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: [O] buffer-file-name in [* Org src *] buffers
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 18:56:48 -0400

Hi all,

TL;DR: why does org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer set buffer-file-name to a
non-nil value?
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/4b6988bf36cb458c9d113ee4332e016990c1eb04#diff-ea848b037ba2c0bf95915700bb6f4e539d80d8cR486

Background information: I'm reviewing a patch
(https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/pull/1426) to enable Flycheck in
temporary buffers created by org-mode while editing a code snippet with
org-edit-src-code (among others).  The patch teaches Flycheck to append an
checker-appropriate extension to the temporary files that it creates: for
example, when editing a Python snippet from an Org file, Flycheck would now
create a file named /tmp/<random string>.py instead of /tmp/<random string>
(which would make Python happy).

We're thinking of enabling this automatic suffix addition behavior only for
buffers that do not have a buffer-file-name currently set (in the ones that do,
Flycheck already derives file names for its temporary files from the buffer's
file name), but we were surprised to find that [* Org src *] actually have a
buffer-file-name.

Why is that?

Thanks,
Clément.