Re: [O] Structured links to headings with endless depth

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Structured links to headings with endless depth
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 07:15:13 -0700

I don't think this should be in org-mode, it is still too fragile in many ways.

For example, what if you have a colon in your headlines, e.g. "A chapter about Romans 15:13".  That will will mess up the suggested approach that splits on ":".

What if you have duplicate headlines in a hierarchy, how would you specify the nth one?

What if you have some convention to start at level 2 headlines? what would you do then?

What about include files?

What if you skip a level for some reason? What should the path look like then?

If you can't put custom_ids in, the next best solution for a static file might be to just jump to line numbers, and use a path-like link description. That will allow you to jump to a precise line with a link that looks like the path to that line.

[[file:some/file.org::43][1:2:3]]

Here is a function that will copy a link to the kill ring from the current point so it is easy to paste somewhere. That link will fold so it looks like 1:2:3 visually.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun copy-link-with-path ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((line)
(fname (buffer-file-name))
(path-components '()))
    (save-excursion
      (org-back-to-heading)
      (setq line (line-number-at-pos))
      (push (nth 4 (org-heading-components)) path-components)

      (while (org-up-heading-safe)
(when (looking-at "*")
  (push (nth 4 (org-heading-components)) path-components)))
      (kill-new (format "[[file:%s::%s][%s]]"
fname
line
(s-join ":" path-components))))))