Re: [O] Structured links to headings with endless depth

From: ST
Subject: Re: [O] Structured links to headings with endless depth
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 20:07:14 +0200

On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 07:15 -0700, John Kitchin wrote:
> I don't think this should be in org-mode, it is still too fragile in
> many ways.
>

> For example, what if you have a colon in your headlines, e.g. "A
> chapter about Romans 15:13".  That will will mess up the suggested
> approach that splits on ":".

My bad, I didn't mean to add this specific solution, but rather improve
it till it is no longer fragile. I appealed to those who are responsible
for adding new feature requests (as described on the website) to
consider this idea (and maybe find other more stable ways to implement
it). I'm not sure who they are...

> What if you have duplicate headlines in a hierarchy, how would you
> specify the nth one?

Normally there shouldn't be identical headlines on the same level (on
different levels [[My_Book::2:2:2]] is perfectly fine). Should this
happen - take first occurrence.

> What if you have some convention to start at level 2 headlines? what
> would you do then?
>

> What about include files?
>

> What if you skip a level for some reason? What should the path look
> like then?

Then your structure is not well-defined and you should not use such
links.

Thank you!