Re: [O] org-move-subtree-down whitespace dance

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] org-move-subtree-down whitespace dance
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:57:50 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for your time!

>> After having stumbled over
>>

>> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/32144/org-mode-org-move-subtree-down-function-strange-behavior
>>
>> I also think the behavior of org-move-subtree-down is strange.
>>
>> What about pulling out the dance with the whitespace from
>> org-move-subtree-down and just move the subtree as it is?
>
> There's at least a minor issue. I you like to separate your heading with
> N spaces, you must keep N blank lines at the end of the buffer at all
> time. Granted, the current implementation requires the same thing before
> the first headline, but those are easier to see and maintain.

Agreed.  This is a point.

Possibly one could write some kind of formatter to maintain a certain
scheme to separate subtrees with N blank lines.

> Intuitively, I would say the current behaviour is better, but feel free
> to provide a patch so we can test the other way.

I still propose to let org-move-subtree-down simply just move the
subtree as it is.  Concretely see the patch.

Thanks for giving it a chance and best regards
                                              Marco