Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 21:08:19 +0200

Hi,

On 29 Apr 2018, at 13:05, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Again, I may be wrong in thinking disabling this will cause trouble to
many users.  Let's just take a moment to see what users think.

Here’s my 2 cents: I’ve only been using org-mode for a few months now, but almost from the beginning I learned about org-tempo and the “<s" expansions, so I got used to them. I find it very natural and quick to type. At some point it became necessary to add "(require org-tempo)" to my init file, which didn’t bother me.

Since a few weeks ago (around 9.1.10-11, maybe?) the “<s" expansion seems a bit broken - if I try to use it in the middle of a file and there is a block of the same type further down in the file, then only the opening line of the block is inserted. So I’ve been using "C-c C-," more, which seems to work fine. I just now realized (thanks to Nicolas’ comment) that it works on regions, which is nice (I had been using "org-babel-demarcate-block” - “C-c C-v d” for that).

So, to summarize: I don’t mind having to load org-tempo explicitly, but it wold be nice to make the change visible (maybe make ORG-NEWS more visible) and to fix the bug I mentioned.

Best,
—Diego