Re: [O] Testing master branch

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Testing master branch
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:24:16 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt Hansen writes:
>> I intend to update and track the master branch git repo changes daily in
>> order to identify problems as early as possible.
>>
>> Does it matter if I compile or not for this?
>>
>> Normally I do:
>>
>>     git pull
>>     make
>>     and restart emacs every morning
>>
>> Can I do make uncompiled instead and skip the restart?
>
> I fail to see how the two are related, unless you are talking about
> compiling a new Emacs every morning.

Hi Achim,

I use a pre-canned Emacs for windows at work so I am not ever compiling
emacs -- only the org-mode elisp code using the org-mode makefile after
updating with the latest changes.

I haven't been tracking the development branch of org-mode in about 3
years so I completely forgot about the org-reload function!  Using
org-reload is what I meant by 'restart'.  I had been restarting emacs to
use the latest compiled version of org-mode since starting to track the
master branch a week or two ago when I upgraded from version 8.3.

>> What do you recommend?
>
> make up2
>
> Then re-load org in your running Emacs session or restart Emacs as you
> wish.  Note that the up2 target does not install anything if any of the
> tests failed.  If you want to live dangerously, skip the tests and
> install whatever you've got, use the update2 target.

Living dangerously with my live org files at work doesn't sound like a
smart thing to do at this point :)

I'll try make-up2 and org-reload.

Thanks!
Bernt