Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:46:53 -0400

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

Jon Snader <address@hidden> writes:

I use the <s[TAB] mechanism all the time and /definitely/ want it
enabled. I don't want to have to deal with a menu and its more
complicated calling sequence

I feel the same!  Please don't disable <s[TAB] or make it more
complicated to use.

You can make the case that it doesn't really matter because all that's
needed is a minor adjustment to your init.el to restore the old
behavior. But here's what's going to happen: A user who upgrades through ELPA is going to discover that suddenly the familiar template code is no longer working. He'll likely think it's an bug and wait for an upgrade or two for it to be fixed. When it doesn't get fixed, he'll ask the Internet what's wrong. Here's what's not going to happen: he's not going to read the ORG-NEWS file. In the first place, as Bastien says, most users don't but many users won't even know where to look. Org mode is famously Emacs' killer app and many non-technical users have been drawn to Emacs to get access
to it. Many of them probably have no idea where the ELPA files are
stored and even if they do they probably won't look in the etc
subdirectory.

Why torture our users when it's so simple to keep the old behavior
enabled? If I hadn't seen Bastien's tweet pointing to this thread, I
would most certainly be one of the people described above.