Re: [O] Inheriting some local variables from source code block editing b

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] Inheriting some local variables from source code block editing buffers
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 20:35:00 +0100

2018ko maiatzak 1an, Göktuğ Kayaalp-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]

>> The approach that should be taken should be to use a header argument to
>> specify an alist of variables and values to set in src block edit buffers.
>> Then the usual methods (info "(org) Using header arguments") could be used
>> to control the feature globally, per-buffer, per-language, per-subtree,
>> and per-individual source block.
>
> I agree.  But note that what I want to do is to set some buffer local
> variables in the special block editing buffer.  The header argument
> ":lexical yes" seems to not affect the editing buffer

Thinking about it some more, lexical binding is not a good case for
this feature, since it has to be set not only in the edit buffer, but
also when C-c C-c is used in the org-mode buffer to evaluate the src
block.  The :lexical header arg (which I did not know about) works for
the latter but not the former.  To complete the picture, Someone™ needs
to implement a org-babel-edit-prep:emacs-lisp function which looks for
:lexical yes in the header arguments and sets the value in the edit
buffer appropriately.

If lexical-binding is the major motivating factor, then maybe the above
is enough.  My original suggestion was for something like:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :edit-vars ((fill-column 72) (other-var other-val))
#+end_src

This would set the variables in the edit buffer in the (hopefully)
obvious way.  It is not implemented yet, though.

Aaron

PS Itʼs best to use “reply all” and include the org mode mailing list in
replies, to make sure everyone following the thread sees all the
messages.

--
Aaron Ecay