Re: [O] Moving from Jekyll to Orgmode

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Moving from Jekyll to Orgmode
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 13:43:38 +0000

Hello Thomas,

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
This looks like an interesting project.

I've browsed the various Hugo themes and the example web sites. I
think I've seen websites similar to and themes suitable for a
variety of sites I'd like to consolidate: archaeology course
syllabus and class calendar; documentation for a software project;
a publication list with download links; and a book/article review
blog.

That's correct, you can use Hugo to generate any of those kinds of sites. I use it for my blog, the ox-hugo doc site itself, the bare-bones ox-hugo test site, product doc site at work. I have also used it in the past for a "for-rent" site in the past (and it worked ;-)).

  I use org-mode for writing these kinds of thing now, and
I'm hoping to work out a way to make my org mode source work with
Hugo.

At minimum you just need the #+hugo_base_dir keyword and EXPORT_FILE_NAME property (if using per-subtree flow). So it should not be too difficult. To get an idea, I made these[1] changes to make the pre-existing use-package Org manual ready for ox-hugo export.

I'm especially keen on previewing the web pages as I work on them,
which was super easy to set up (thanks!),

Great! So I gather that you were able to get a preliminary setup of ox-hugo + Hugo working?

and generating  "responsive" content to satisfy my smartphone connected students.

That part is not too difficult if you want to get the basic responsiveness.. just adding the viewport meta tag in HTML head does most of the job:

You need to get into CSS hacking if you want to go further in @media based CSS formatting, or implementing CSS grids, etc.

I see that ox-hugo and many Hugo templates have a blog as their
focus.  Is it reasonable to go down the ox-hugo path for my
planned sites?

I think so, as I mentioned earlier, I have used it for a variety of sites. The Hugo theme tagging system is not great as it relies completely on what the theme authors manually tag those as. But this[2] gives a small selection of themes for documentation sites. I might find more sites that fit your needs as you explore each of the themes on that site (don't reply 100% on tags).

  Or, is the blog focus likely to restrict what I'd like to do?

Hugo Go templating is very powerful[3]. It inherently has no restrictions. The templating language does not have a "blog focus".

If you decide to use a theme, just as is[*], then that's a restriction. I would suggest to pick a theme that best fits your need, and then gradually mold (mould?) it as you learn more of Go templating, to make it perfect for you.

Thanks.

Kaushal

[1]: https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/commit/dede56276ce157fb55f84562b10a70978c34230e#diff-980e09e4bfed99830873c784dfb12a7a

[2]: https://themes.gohugo.io/tags/documentation/

[3]: Here are some of the professional non-blog sites created using Hugo: https://gohugo.io/showcase/.

[*]: Being Emacs users, I doubt if the "use the theme as is" would work for any of us ;-)
--

Kaushal Modi