Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 01:25:57 +0100

Hi Rasmus,

2018ko maiatzak 7an, Rasmus-ek idatzi zuen:
> Srecode seems pretty neat, though it might only work in file buffers.
> Other than being shipped with Emacs, does it have any advantage over yas?
> Are there any plans to merge the two or make them more compatible?

Not AFAIK (to both questions).  Yasnippet is in GNU ELPA, so the barrier
to it becoming integrated into emacs (in whatever way) is low (or at
least, not dominated by questions of copyright assignment).

> I think [skeleton.el] was too restrictive.  I think I also tried
> abbrev and found it not sufficient.

Itʼs a pity.  In an ideal world emacs would have only one built-in
template expansion system which we could build on, instead of 3-4
(depending on whether you count abbrev).  But, this is the world we
live in.  (This is certainly not a criticism of org-tempo btw!)

>From another message in the thread:

> Thanks.  I guess it would be enough to check if the elements of the alist
> are cons (newer Orgs) or lists (older orgs).  A more "complex" procedure
> could look for at the content of the ca?dr, I guess, but I don’t know if
> that’s necessary.

AIUI the change was from a cons of (character, template string) to a
cons of (string, template string).  The relevant commit is b56df73.

--
Aaron Ecay