Re: [O] Smooth transition for modules

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] Smooth transition for modules
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 14:28:40 +0100

Hi Bastien,

2018ko maiatzak 8an, Bastien-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]

> You mean: instead of simply requiring other packages from a package,
> add a new Suggest: header for packages suggestions?

Everything you described sounds like a wonderful idea.  What I had in
mind was much simpler.  It (I think) does not require adding any new
features to package.el.  The best way I can explain it is with the
following pseudocode, which I envision would be run when org is loaded:

(defcustom asked-already-p nil
  "docstring")

(unless asked-already-p
  (when (and (not (package-installed-p "org-tempo"))
             (y-or-n-p "Do you like <s templates? "))
    (package-install "org-tempo"))
  (custom-set-and-save-variable 'asked-already-p t))

> Well, I think that even experienced users would enjoy discovering new
> packages when suggested by the packages they use

Agreed.  My only concern was that users installing from git might not
have the right settings of package-archives etc to make the
package-install call above work correctly.  Maybe I was being
pessimistic about that, though.

--
Aaron Ecay