Re: [O] Bug: Inconsistent effort handling in clock totals in maint [9.1.

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Inconsistent effort handling in clock totals in maint [9.1.13 (release_9.1.13 @ /home/bernt/git/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 23:36:59 +0200

Hello,

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

>    Notice modeline total has [0:05/0:15]
>    So 'do something' has an effort of 15 minutes.  It may be entered wrong
> but it is a bare 15 value
>    instead of 15:00 or 00:15
>
>    :EFFORT:   15

>    C-c C-p
>
> 7) Enter column mode
>    C-C C-x C-c
>
>    Notice the total Effort is 15 hours and 30 minutes
>    Column mode is using the 15 effort as hours not minutes while clocking
> uses it as minutes.
>    When I run into this I change the effort value to either 15:00 or 00:15
> but it would be better if it was handled consistently.

Unfortunately, this discrepancy has deep roots. For example, the manual
has this:

          {:}       Sum times, HH:MM, plain numbers are hours.

Changing {:} or effort behaviour could be annoying. We may add another
summary-type, e.g. {::}, with the following description:

          {::}       Sum times, HH:MM, plain numbers are minutes.

WDYT?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou