[O] Exporting ODT to Org [was Re: General advice beyond Org]

From: edgar
Subject: [O] Exporting ODT to Org [was Re: General advice beyond Org]
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 04:56:32 +0000

On 2018-05-20 01:24, Samuel Wales wrote:
perhaps we can start thinking about improving registration between formats?

I don't really know what this means.

if you export org [you posted to org mailng list] to a foreign format,
you want your collaborator to be able to edit, save, send back without
raising a sweat.

Not really, although it would be nice--and possibly titanic to do.

now you have to integrate the changes. you want to do this without annoyance.

suppose you export comments in the foreign format that contain the
equivalent of persistent markers.  you might or might not be willing
to put org id or custom id on every heading, but there might be
workarounds that are not so intrusive.  maybe your source can contain
comments with markers.  dunno.

Every great project had to start somewhere (this sounds like that). However, if I am going to devote time to such a gigantic task, I would rather spend it trying to convert others to free software rather than doing favours to a closed format. I am not saying that it wouldn't be nice to have it.

if your exported document is a subtree within a huge org file that you
edit all the time, registration allows your software to identify that
subtree, so you're not trying to change anything outside that subtree.
that alone is a win.

This sounds like a project for people in LibreOffice or Pandoc. I think I will contact them to see if they are interested.

but maybe we can do more.  the markers can register sections or even
paragraphs if you're doing intensive collaboration.  the tricky part
might be getting standard tools to understand that the mapping of
markers takes precedence over everything else.

Yes, big project.

details of this handwavey and possibly impossible brainstorm are left
as an exercise for the reader.

LooooL! you remind me of books with notes such as "after deriving the equation one arrives to the following expression" :P !

Thank you.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!