Re: [O] RFC: Proposal for an Org Special Block for ox-html

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] RFC: Proposal for an Org Special Block for ox-html
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 14:08:49 -0400

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 1:42 PM Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Kaushal,

It seems like a good idea.  My two comments are:

- Remember that ox-html can export to HTML4, so the code would need to
  detect that case and have a sensible fallback

Yes, I think that would need to be handle just as ox-html does now.. use div tags instead of details and summary tags.

- The approach of looking for “magic” strings in the contents seems
  hackish.  What if the summary was treated as a caption?

I also feel like that's a hack, but seems quite robust and functional at least in my tests. The main reason to make summary part of details was to no impose a one-paragraph limit on summaries.

Here's my pathological test for this feature: https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/test/posts/details-and-summary/

#+caption: Open for details
#+begin_details
Many details here.
#+end_details

(Admittedly, the mismatch between “caption” and “summary” is not ideal,
but caption is the only suitable keyword that the syntax gives us...).

I agree. caption doesn't go well with details.. looks like making a stew out of whatever's in the fridge. Hope that bad metaphor makes sense :)

Another idea would be:

#+begin_details
#+summary: Open for details.
Many details here.
#+end_details

HTML allows multi-paragraph summaries.. (see my test link above). Expanding on your idea.. what if we had another Special block with name summary?

#+begin_details
#+begin_summary
Open for details

More summary.
#+end_summary
Many details here.
#+end_details

It doesn't look as pretty as using the magic string "---", but it should work.  But still not sure..

Just food for thought...

I appreciate that.
--

Kaushal Modi