Re: [O] Babel - :export-dir and :file-ext arguments cause all blocks to

From: Alex Fenton
Subject: Re: [O] Babel - :export-dir and :file-ext arguments cause all blocks to emit files
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 07:32:33 +0200

On 25/05/18 01:13, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Hello,

Alex Fenton <address@hidden> writes:

As far I understand it, |:output-dir| and |:file-ext| that were
intended to be used in the global document header, applying to all
blocks.

However, it seems to mean that all blocks regardless of their :results
args then emit a file, and put their output as a [file:] link. It's
not clear from the docs why this happens.

Am I missing something, or does this mean that these arguments are
useless unless a document happens only to emit graphics from blocks?
At the moment, the blocks (R, as it happens) are meant to sometimes
emit scalars, sometimes literal latex, sometimes tables to be
formatted by orgs, and sometimes graphics. But all the non-graphics
are at the moment being stuffed into (non-working) PDF files.

Following a discussion and suggested, but not-working solution at:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/41618/org-modes-output-dir-and-file-ext-arguments-cause-all-output-to-be-saved-to
I agree something is cheesy here.

According to `org-babel-execute-src-block', if :file is set (it can also
be forged from :file-ext and :output-dir according to
`org-babel-generate-file-param'), results become the filename.

Also, according to `org-babel-merge-params' both :file and :file-ext
trump :results value, i.e., they automatically imply "file" in :results.
and "results" in :exports.

At this point, I'm not sure about :export, but I think it should be the
other way for :results. IOW, :file and :file-ext should be taken into
consideration only when :results contains "file".

WDYT?

Regards,