Re: [O] point moves and zoom level reverts when refreshing agenda

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] point moves and zoom level reverts when refreshing agenda
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 18:22:40 +0200

Hi Samuel,

> recent maint, have not tried in -Q.

Me neither.  ;)

> summary: point moves and zoom level reverts when refreshing agenda
>
> 1]
>
> i find that,
>
> when i do an agenda agenda [daily/weekly] and i have point on a task,
>
> and i go do something in the task and nearby nodes, and a bunch of
> other things, and return to the agenda,
>
> and refresh agenda view [and also just in case any of the markers god
> out of date and could cause corruption if i operated on a task from
> the agenda],
>
> that point moves from the task.  i wonder if it makes sense to try to
> keep point on the task that it was on?

I also find the point movement erratic sometimes in the agenda.  IIUC
the line number gets stored for the agenda and after agenda-redo point
is set to that line number again.

I also thought a bit about a better behavior.  One could implement a
heuristic which trys to place point at a line which looks "very much"
like the line which contained point before the redo.  But I'm not sure
how crazy that is.

> 2] i also find that refreshing resets the zoom level created using
> text-scale-increase.  i wonder if this can also be preserved.  to me,
> refreshing refers to updating the contents of the agenda view, not
> things like text scale.

This is a wanted feature AFAICT.  I think the following patch is a
reliable way to achieve the preservation of text-scale for agenda-redo.

Ciao,
     Marco