Re: [O] ox-hugo, 2 questions

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] ox-hugo, 2 questions
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 23:24:41 -0400

Hello Tom.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 4:43 PM Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
Aloha all,

1) Is this the correct way to get an image in the homepage branch
bundle?

I have this in the org file:

* Homepage
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EXPORT_HUGO_SECTION:
  :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: index
  :END:

[[/bldg-1-5-sequence-distance-1332+-small.png]]

I see a couple of things that are wrong there:

1. The branch bundles have _index.md file. index.md makes it a page bundle. You can see Table 1 here: https://scripter.co/hugo-leaf-and-branch-bundles/.
2. You mentioned homepage branch bundle, but I don't see the use of EXPORT_HUGO_BUNDLE.

Using index.md instead of _index.md is a very common mistake. Reading the above link might help understand the difference more. Feel free to ask more questions about that on the ox-hugo Github issue manager itself as this gets out of the Org mode scope for this mailing list.

This is the markdown export:

+++
title = "Homepage"
author = ["Thomas S. Dye"]
lastmod = 2018-06-09T09:32:43-10:00
draft = false
+++

{{< figure src="" >}}

I don't see an image on the home page.  Perhaps this is an issue
with the theme I'm using (material-docs)?

It's difficult to tell. Can you share a git repo with a minimal site (just the config.toml and the Org content files would do). I will try reproducing the issue locally using ox-hugo plus the ox-hugo test site theme: https://github.com/kaushalmodi/hugo-bare-min-theme.

I have a "sandbox" site where you can see an example of _index. See for "_index" here: https://gitlab.com/kaushalmodi/hugo-sandbox/raw/master/content-org/sandbox.org. That example also happens to have an image on the home page, though I am inserting that image in the layout file itself using the .Resources Hugo method.

Here is the outcome: https://hugo-sandbox.netlify.com/.

2) Can I have links in figure captions?

I have this in the org file:

 #+name: fig-12-sequence
 #+caption: Stratigraphic DAG for the information on Figure
 [[fig-12-section]].
 [[file:/fig-12-sequence.png][file:/fig-12-sequence-small.png]]

This is the markdown export:

{{< figure src="" caption="Figure 2:
Stratigraphic DAG for the information on Figure [1](#org1658d1e)."
link="/fig-12-sequence.png" >}}

This is a known issue in Hugo. The default figure shortcode does not convert Markdown in figure captions to HTML: https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/issues/4406, https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/issues/136.

So I use my custom figure shortcode to fix this (and an other unrelated issue) for my own site: https://gitlab.com/kaushalmodi/hugo-theme-refined/blob/master/layouts/shortcodes/figure.html.

Just putting this custom figure.html in your site's layouts/shortcodes/ directory (which will override the inbuilt figure shortcode) will fix this second issue.

Hope this helps. For future, you can ask ox-hugo questions directly at https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/issues.

I don't mind Hugo-related questions there too. But just so that you know the Hugo Discourse forum is pretty active too: https://discourse.gohugo.io/.

Kaushal

PS: My reply ended up containing a lot of links.. hope that doesn't overwhelm you, but instead helps resolve the issues.

--

Kaushal Modi