Re: [O] Use Emacs' default value of "bidi-paragraph-direction" in orgmod

From: ST
Subject: Re: [O] Use Emacs' default value of "bidi-paragraph-direction" in orgmode
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 15:29:58 +0300

On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 09:12 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:05:37 +0200
> >
> > ST <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Please leave the Emacs' default value of "bidi-paragraph-direction"
> > > which is "nil" in orgmode as well. Right now orgmode seems to force
> > > "left-to-right", thus blocking "right-to-left". With "nil" it is
> > > dynamic, which means both directions work well out-of-the box.
> > >
> > > Right now I'm forced to add this to my config:
> > >
> > > (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
> > >           (lambda ()
> > >             (setq bidi-paragraph-direction nil)))
> > >
> > > It took me a lot of time to figure out, which makes the first Org steps
> > > for RTL-newbies quite frustrating...
> >
> > It may not be as obvious as you think. See
> > <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-09/msg00349.html>
> > for details.
>
> For the record: The change to the current default was my suggestion,
> and I still stand by that advice.  I think the current default is
> correct out of the box for more people than the previous nil value.
> And I see no catastrophe in a mode hook that overrides the default for
> those who don't like this default.  The defaults cannot possibly DTRT
> for everyone, only for the majority.

That's exactly what I want to achieve - reasonable defaults for the
majority. Let's clarify:

1. Do you agree that the vast majority of all the documents in human
history were/are EITHER ltr OR rtl? Meaning that mixed ltr/rtl texts are
minority that we should not take care of...
2. Do you agree that for pure ltr texts org headings should appear to
the left and for pure rtl texts org headings should appear to the right?

If you agree with both (1) and (2) - we should put nil as default value,
as this will enable (2).

I'm so eager to change the defaults because we start a project where we
have many non_technically_savvy Windows-people who need to edit rtl org
files in Emacs (which is a challenge on its own). So we want the
experience to be as smooth as possible, but right now rtl users are
disadvantaged for no reason (as with nil - BOTH ltr AND rtl views can be
achieved).

Thank you!