Re: [O] Org Mode Documentation Patch

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Org Mode Documentation Patch
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 09:36:42 +0200

Hello,

"Siraphob (Ben) Phipathananunth" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've begun reading the Org Mode manual, and noticed that the wording
> in some places could be improved (so far I've read up to Section 4.8).
> I've attached my patch.  Some of the more drastic changes:
>
> - Changed all occurrences of "the cursor" to "point", I thought the
>   inconsistency was confusing, especially since the Emacs manual
>   maintains usage of "point" throughout, so too should the Org Mode
>   manual.

Thank you. I applied your patch.

I'm not totally convinced by the change from "function" to "Lisp
function", since, in the context of Org, an Elisp library, there is no
ambiguity. But I have no strong opinion, so I didn't remove the
occurrences in your patch.

BTW, what is your status wrt FSF papers?

> Section 4.6 "Link abbreviations" in the Org Mode manual link to
> websites that have and/or promote non-free software.  The URLs are
> used to illustrate link abbreviations in Org Mode, but I suppose this
> was purely coincidental because long URLs to websites such as
> gnu.org/some/long/path could be used instead.  Would it be appropriate
> to change the examples in a later patch?

Sure. However, for the sake of clarity, it would be better if not all
examples are similar, i.e., no "gnu.org/some/long/path" everywhere.

> When the PDF version of the Org Mode manual is generated with "make
> docs", the footnotes (3 and 4) around Section 4.3 are incorrectly
> indented, can anyone reproduce this?

I don't see anything like that in the PDF. You may want to try deleting
it and re-generate it.

> Should I submit my patches as smaller ones as I read sections of the
> manual or bulk them together into a larger patch, or is it just a
> matter of preference?

As you wish.

> Please let me know if you have any comments about the patch.  It's my
> first one, I hope I have followed the CONTRIBUTING guide properly.

I fixed a couple of missing capitalization (point at the beginning of
a sentence) and filled modified paragraphs. I also slightly modified
your commit message.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou