Re: [O] Speeding up agenda custom command with org-agenda-earlier & org-

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Speeding up agenda custom command with org-agenda-earlier & org-agenda-later
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 14:37:36 -0700

hehe we don't know if the rewrite will occur, or when.  :]

> I don't think is it planned. Feel free to implement it, if you want to.

> I consider Org agenda in dire need of rewriting, though. for better
> scalability and easier maintenance.

for me, the biggest problem in all of emacs is the speed of 1-day and
2-day org agenda.  [i never need 30 days, or if i do, i'm willing to
have that take quite a few minutes just so that the 1-day and 2-day
speeds are maximized.]  i've done all of bastien's recommended speed
hacks and a couple more like turning off diary [which doesn't do much
but still].

regular text search is ok.  it's only the one that has to parse
timestamps that is slow.  profiling reveals nothing obvious so i
imagine it has been optimized thoroughly.

so for me, scalability means only scaling to more files [threading
useful here?] and larger files, and only for the daily agenda "a".
but i imagine a rewrite would maybe start from scratch.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.