[O] Problem in removing the invisible brackets of a link

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: [O] Problem in removing the invisible brackets of a link
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:36:40 +0200

Hello.

The manual says:

      If you place the cursor at the beginning or just behind the end
   of the displayed text and press <BACKSPACE>, you will remove the
   (invisible) bracket at that location.

The problem for me it that it depends on the way I arrive at those
locations.  For example, for '[[xx]]', seen as 'xx' underlined, if I
have the cursor on the right of it and have it go towards the left
just after the second 'x' and press <BACKSPACE>, then the behavior is
as I expect (I see '[[xx]'), but, if I have the cursor on the left and
have it go to towards the right just after the second 'x' and press
<BACKSPACE>, then I see a single underlined 'x' (after a second
<BACKSPACE> I see '[[]]').

Is this normal?  (tested with emacs -Q with master, with emacs 24.5.1
and 26.1)

Incidentally, is there a way to have things like [[xx]] behave as
plain text?  (I am not talking about literal links which are still
understood as links.)  I have tried 'quote', 'verse', 'verbatim',
'comment', 'example', and org code block: none work.

In the case of 'example' the 'xx' string is not underlined, yet
hitting <RET> on it generates "org-link-search: No match for fuzzy
expression: xx".

In the case of an org code block the 'xx' remains underlined but <RET>
on it generates "Evaluate this org code block on your system? (yes or
no)", which is strange to me...

PS: for me this is not a theoretical issue: In many circumstances I
would like '[[xx]]' instances not behave as links.  I would be happy
if I could change the link format (e.g., use {{xx}} instead -- is it
possible? (I fear it is not.)

Thank you.

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden