Re: [O] How to move up/down a headline but not the subtree?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] How to move up/down a headline but not the subtree?
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 10:20:55 +0200

Hello,

address@hidden writes:

> I do not understand this.  When one is demoting/promoting
> headlines[fn:2] (and even whole subtrees), it seems to me that one is
> implicitly admitting that the structure is wrong.  I only see a
> quantitative difference (i.e., not a qualitative one) between doing
> this and performing want I want to do.

This is indeed a quantitative difference. demoting/promoting is quite
natural, predictable, and easy to implement. Barring indentation, it
only affects the current line. This is a useful low-level function.

Your suggestion is, OTOH, very vague. You want to move a headline and
its section. Where? What should happen then to the rest of the sub-tree?
Even if properly defined, it would potentially affect a lot of the
document, possibly in a convoluted way.

You certainly have good use for this, but I insist on this point: this
is not a "basic" operation, at all. AFAIU, I do think that such
a complex low-level operation should not be a standard command.

> Only now do I realize that it is probably the same logic which is
> behind the triggering of the error "Cannot move past superior level or
> buffer limit" which occurs when trying to move a subtree.  Well, I
> certainly don't appreciate these limitations :-) At least in that case
> I can not too painfully break the law by promoting+moving+demoting...

I cannot answer as I don't know what exactly you want to achieve.

> I understand patches are welcome, but I don't know how to do that yet.
> In that case, is it better that I remain silent?

Not at all. You can see how to contribute there:
<https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#patches>.

If you don't have time for the gory details, you can also suggest
a change in the Org manual without formatting it as a patch. Since the
manual is an Org file[1], you don't even have to learn Texinfo.

Regards,

Footnotes:
[1]  https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/raw/master/doc/org-manual.org

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738