[O] The syntax class of ", /, =, ~

From: Omar Antolín
Subject: [O] The syntax class of ", /, =, ~
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 15:28:35 -0500

In a nutshell, I propose that ", /, = and ~ be assigned to the syntax class
"paired delimiter", which is $. (This would allow electric-pair-mode to work
with them.)

The definition of org-mode as a derived mode contains the following lines:

  (modify-syntax-entry ?@ "w")
  (modify-syntax-entry ?\" "\"")
  (modify-syntax-entry ?\\ "_")
  (modify-syntax-entry ?~ "_")

What is the rationale behind the choices for ~ and "? It feels to me like both
should be assigned class "paired delimiters" (i.e., class $). I would also
expect / and = to be paired delimiters, but maybe I'm missing some subtlety.

(I guess * is a paired delimter in a sense, too (because it is used for bold),
but since it is used for headings it would probably be too confusing to modify
its syntax class.)

--
Omar