Re: [O] Feature request: Maintaining multiple init files with one org fi

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] Feature request: Maintaining multiple init files with one org file
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 10:06:01 +1000

I suspect part of the reason org doesn't have specific support for this
is because for many, solving the multiple machine/multiple
platform/multiple environment issue pre-dates org and so wasn't an itch
needing to be scratched. I've been using pretty much the same approach
since emacs 21.

As your emacs init file is really just a lisp program, it is relatively
easy to implement multiple environment support within the file itself,
which is what I do. At the start of my init file, I just have some elisp
which sets variables representing the platform (linux or mac), the
hostname (I have both a linux and mac box at home and work) and the
profile (home/work). Then it is just if/cond/when conditionals where
needed. I use org to store the file mainly for documentation purposes
and will have the same file on all platforms. The advantage is that it
is the same file on all platforms, the disadvantage is that it is larger
and probably more complex than it would be if you tangled different
files per system.

For me this is just 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. YMMV. I do
find there are some things best set/managed via Emacs' custom facility,
so the most useful bit in my init file is the bit which loads different
custom files based on the platform. I don't bother keeping the custom
files in git, so they stay local to each system. I find using custom to
manage face and font settings particularly convenient over managing them
by hand in my init file.

Tim

--
Tim Cross