Re: [O] Feature request: Maintaining multiple init files with one org fi

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: Re: [O] Feature request: Maintaining multiple init files with one org file
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:25:02 +0200

Hi Sven,

Personally, I do not like the idea of having to generate the config files on every host - I prefer to tangle once, on my main machine, and then distribute (via git) both the org source and the tangled result to all my machines. This results in much lower maintenance effort - otherwise I would need to login to each machine, open Emacs there, and tangle the file (or automate the process, but still, more work than doing it once). This means that the logic still needs to be present in the resulting file, but it doesn't mean the org source needs to be less readable. What I do is use noweb mode selectively, to indicate the corresponding sections. I use this for the OS-specific configuration in my Emacs file: https://github.com/zzamboni/dot-emacs/blob/master/init.org#system-specific-configuration.

In short, the top-level block includes the necessary logic, plus the corresponding sections in noweb-style references (the :noweb no-export makes it so that the tags get expanded only when tangling and not when exporting, which makes my rendered config files more readable, see the links below):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :noweb no-export
  (cond ((eq system-type 'darwin)
         <<Mac settings>>
         )
        ((eq system-type 'windows-nt)
         <<Windows settings>>
         )
        ((eq system-type 'gnu/linux)
         <<Linux settings>>
         ))
#+end_src

Then, each subsection sets the corresponding section-level properties, so that they don't have to be specified in each block - then all the blocks within that section will be automatically inserted in the corresponding "section" of the cond statement above. For example:

** Mac
:PROPERTIES:
:header-args:emacs-lisp: :tangle no :noweb-ref Mac settings
:END:

First, we set the key modifiers correctly to my preferences: Make Command (⌘) act as Meta, Option as Alt, right-Option as Super

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (customize-set-variable 'mac-command-modifier 'meta)
  (customize-set-variable 'mac-option-modifier 'alt)
  (customize-set-variable 'mac-right-option-modifier 'super)
#+end_src

Hope this helps - not exactly what you asked, but maybe a useful alternative?

Best,
--Diego