Re: [O] Agenda search: setting sort-order

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda search: setting sort-order
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 20:28:34 -0500

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:

> I had a look at org-agenda.el, and took a first stab at "coding" :)
> I fixed the sorting problem when using agenda-search-view, and
> I have a DIFF/patch at the bottom of this e-mail [1] that provided the fix.
>
> Would this be of interest to the org-mode project?

IMO, the Org mode project is interested in having its bugs fixed ;)

> This code fixes the
> problem,
> but it is duplicated in the function org-agenda-get-todos, and seems
> redundant,
> therefore a more "long term" fix would probably not resemble the minor patch
> below.  Also, I have no experience with lisp, nor the org-mode
> codebase :-O

A more "long term" fix would be to rewrite the agenda (asynchronous,
more scalable, better API for external use).

> Here's steps I used to find the problem.  Feel free to skip to [1]
> for the DIFF/patch.

Would you mind sending it using `git format-patch'?

Hi Nicolas,

I'm a bit leery of submitting these lines of code - one reason is that
the sort feature still really doesn't work very well.  IIRC, the results
are globally sorted by timestamp, but there's results with NULL or
no timestamps mixed in.

In other words, results are something like:

* foo 12/1/2001
* bar 12/2/2002
* baz <no timestamp>
* blech 12/2/2003
* another <no timestamp>

So, it's not really a fix, and I'm not sure this is even good code :)
If someone wants to grab the fix and jump from here, that's fine, it's only
a few lines.

Thanks,
--Nate

Thank you.