Re: [O] Markdown Export Manual Confusion

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: [O] Markdown Export Manual Confusion
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 16:07:56 +0000

> On Aug 9, 2018, at 4:10 AM, Matthew Brecher <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Markdown export is disabled by default in org version 9.1.9.
> As far as I can see the manual does not indicate any way to enable this.

As I read `Exporting' [1], the instruction is to load ox-md or customize
`org-export-backends'. When I type

M-x customize-variable org-export-backends RET

a buffer pops up with boxes to check including one for

;   md          Export buffer to Markdown format

checking this box and clicking on `Apply' turns on Markdown export. Clicking
`Apply and Save' will also result in Markdown being enabled in future sessions.

> Perhaps it would be prudent to include this info in the Markdown Export page
> [0] of the manual.
> The way it is currently written it appears as if this should work out of the
> box.
>
> The only time the relevant inclusion is mentioned (require 'ox-md) is
> mentioned int he manual is in the Exporting Chapter [1], but here it is not
> explained what this does.
>
> [0] https://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html
> [1] https://orgmode.org/org.html#Exporting
> --