Re: [O] [o] org-capture regression?

From: Thomas Holst
Subject: Re: [O] [o] org-capture regression?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 16:01:26 +0200

Hello,
· Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thomas Holst <address@hidden> writes:
>> [...snip...]
>> So here is I patch I came up with to re-enable theese features:
>
> Thank you. However, I have two issues with it.
>
> The first one is that I don't like `eval'. See, for example, this
> excerpt from the Elisp manual:
>
>     On rare occasions, you may need to write code that evaluates a form
>     that is computed at run time, such as after reading a form from text
>     being edited or getting one from a property list. On these
>     occasions, use the ‘eval’ function. Often ‘eval’ is not needed and
>     something else should be used instead. For example, to get the value
>     of a variable, while ‘eval’ works, ‘symbol-value’ is preferable; or
>     rather than store expressions in a property list that then need to
>     go through ‘eval’, it is better to store functions instead that are
>     then passed to ‘funcall’.
>
> So, I'd rather use `symbol-value' and `funcall' and forbid arbitrary
> Sexps.
>
> Also, this introduces a discrepancy between :table-line-pos and other
> parameters, which do not allow variables nor functions. This is another
> issue.
>
> IOW, it may need be to be implemented at a lower level, with proper
> tooling.
>
> WDYT?

For me this sounds resonalble. Basically I am an elisp novice. I
will try to implement the feature like explaind above in
`org-capture-get'. So it can be used for other parameters.

When I have questions or a few lines of code I will come back here.

Right now I can live with my solution for my personal needs. Since my
time for working on this is limited it might take some time. It seems
that nobody else is missing this feature. So I will take the oportunity
and find my way through elisp.

--
Bis neulich ...
  Thomas